Lab Supervisor: Dr. Ioannis Kapageridis, CEng CSci MIMMM, Associate Professor in Mining Informatics
Lab Room: Ε3
The Lab is the training centre of the Department in applied information technology for mining, geotechnology and environment. It is equiped with 15 workstations, oversize plotter and scanner, printers and high resolution data projector.
The Lab hosts a number of advanced software packages used today by the mining industry in Greece and worldwide, as well as geotechnical operations. Our students, during their studies, have the opportunity to get in touch with software packages, such as Maptek Vulcan, for the development of solutions using real data from the industry. The following packages are installed and used extensively at the lab computers for student training:
- Maptek Vulcan: mine planning package by Maptek Pty Ltd.
- MapInfo Professional: GIS software by Pitney Bowes.
- AutoCAD & Raster Design: CAD and remote sensing imagery management solution by Autodesk.
- ERDAS Imagine: remote sensing imagery management software by Hexagon.
- ErgoXP: complete package of management applications for Public and Private projects by Pi-Systems International.
- MODFLOW: hydrological modelling software by USGS.
- ODOS: 3D road planning software package by ODOS Software.
- Simio: simulation software by Simio LLC.
The Lab’s activities and contribution to the mineral resources industry has been recognised by software vendors and companies that use the software. The Lab has provided technical services to a number of companies in Greece and worldwide, including software training and studies.