Home » News (Page 2)
Category Archives: News
After a long break due to Easter, our webinars return on Saturday 7 May, 11:00 am with our next speaker, Dr. Georgios Barakos of the Curtin University of Australia. The subject of his presentation is “Strategic minerals and metals from the Mineral Resources Engineer perspective”.
Dr. Barakos is a lecturer at the Western Australia School of Mines of Curtin University in Australia. He has worked as research associate for the Technical University Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany between 2017 and 2022.
He received his diploma from the School of Mineral Resources Engineering of the Polytechnic of Crete in 2005, as well as his postgraduate degree in Geotechnology and Environment. In 2017 he became a PhD in Mining from the Technical University Bergakademie Freiberg, in Germany.
He has worked bothe in academia and the industry as a supervising engineer for aggregates quarries. His research interests are focused on evaluating the feasibility of surface and underground mining operations, mine method selection, 3D production planning and optimisation, cost estimation, economic and technical analysis of existing and new mining projects, and market analysis for strategic and critical metals mostly related to the energy transition.
Dr. Barakos collaborate with the European Community as external associate, specialising in the evaluation of mineral raw materials for Europe. He has published a significant number of scientific papers and is a reviewer for many international scientific journals.
Registration is available through the following link:
– International Conference on Raw Materials and Circular Economy “Technological Developments and Future Challenges”
It is our pleasure to announce the International Conference on Raw Materials and Circular Economy (“RawMat2021”) which will be held in Athens, Greece, from 5 to 9 September, 2021.
RawMat2021 shall address a wide range of technological developments and future challenges regarding Raw Materials with emphasis given on Circular Economy aspects.
RawMat2021 aims to bring together the Academic community, engineers, early-stage scientists as well as senior scientists, industry executives, stakeholders and policy makers, and other professionals in the field of raw materials for a comprehensive, cross-discipline exchange of knowledge.
RawMat2021 is co-organized by:
– Association of Greek mining companies (tbc)
– Hellenic Survey of Geology and Mineral Exploration
– Geotechnical Chamber of Greece (tbc)
– Geological Society of Greece
– Scientific Society of the Mineral Wealth Technologists of Greece
– School of Mineral Resources Engineering, Technical University of Crete
– Department of Mineral Resources Engineering, University of Western Macedonia
– Department of Geology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (tbc)
– Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
– Department of Geology and Geo-environment, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (tbc)
– Department of Geology, University of Patras
– Greek Ministry of Environment and Energy (tbc)
More information can be found on the conference website: https://www.rawmat2021.gr/congress/
The Department of Mineral Resources Engineering of the University of Western Macedonia, Greece, would like to thank Maptek, provider of the leading mine planning software Maptek Vulcan, for the long running support and the immediate response to the new academic needs created due to the pandemic. Maptek Vulcan has been used for 20 years in the Mining Informatics and Geostatistics courses of the Environmental and Geotechnology Engineering degree and is now introduced to the Mine Planning and Applied Geostatistics course of the new Mineral Resources Engineering degree, provided by our Department. Maptek, at the Department’s request, provided 30 academic licenses of Maptek Vulcan and access to the software for our students through special online accounts.